Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Kept Woman Wednesday: Top Secret Affair (1957)

(Susan Hayward, appearing dismissive of my life's dream)

Years ago, I maintained the vision that my adult life could look like a younger, sunnier, carefree-er version of Mary Haines’s glamorous everyday existence. It doesn’t. But that’s fine. My reality is also very desirable.

But if my lifestyle was subsidized by a generous patron, paired with absolutely no expectations, I know how I’d pass the time.

Until I graduated high school, I spent all day every summer watching Turner Classic Movies. I’d nap during the evening, recharging to stay awake until 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. to continue the film marathon.

And I watched some great stuff. I was introduced to my secret favorite musical, “Good News" (1947). I sat through a classic I’m openly ambivalent about: "Citizen Kane" (1941). I recall a great noir starring Betty Grable, of all people. And I happened upon Bette Davis in “The Old Maid" (1939) and discovered a kindred spirit. The summer after high school graduation, I watched “The Great Caruso” (1951) in the small hours of the morning, then saw the screen become snow - - signifying a stubborn dispute between TCM and our cable provider.

I haven’t watched Turner Classic Movies since. But I still pretend, and review the week’s films, remembering all the one’s I’ve seen and yearning to watch all the rest.

So, what cinematic lineup would await my Wednesday? It’s right here.

Today’s line-up is tremendous. Hypothetically, my attention would be rapt until noon.

The dawn is met with Top Secret Affair, a 1957 romantic comedy starring Susan Hayward and Kirk Douglas. Susan Hayward is a favorite of mine. I’ve never forgotten that she was born a New Yorker with the name Edythe Marriner. And she looks like my mom. The year after this film, Susan won an academy award for “I Want To Live,” a claustrophobic, suspenseful death-row movie. Despite the gleaming statuette, Susan Hayward’s name is pretty synonymous with the melodramatic “women’s pictures” of the 1950s – but I consider her an exquisite actress who looked drop-dead gorgeous in Technicolor [See: "I Could Go On Singing" (1963).]

Get a load of this synopsis: Top Secret Affair -- A female publishing magnate tries to keep a general she hates from securing a prestigious appointment.

Those career women are vicious! Yet, imagine what happens when that frosty professional exterior succumbs to Kirk Douglas’s Kirk Douglass-ness. Go ahead, imagine. I'll get you a glass of ice water.

No comments: