Monday, September 19, 2011

Everyday use

Why not begin with a reference to Alice Walker and launch into a comparison to Elizabeth Taylor? We all know she amassed an enviable collection of fine jewelry. But that's not all: one thing I admire about Elizabeth is that she loved being the steward of her collection. She'd wear her gems, tell you their stories, and (so I've heard) even let you try them on(!).

There isn't one item in my collection that is even partly analogous to even the most modest of her trove -- but I like her example.

This lovely butter cream-colored tray from the St. Mark's rummage sale was a perfect crudites platter for last Friday's cheese fondue dinner. (The beginning of a well-earned weekend was marked by 1970s theme night.)

1 comment:

Nikki said...

What a wonderful platter. It would match my collection of white and cream dishes as well. We do have vintage ware in common including your tablecloth. I have one just like it and 2 runners for side tables. We must shop together someday....