Monday, October 24, 2011

A Very Emily Hartley Christmas

Bob & Emily Hartley
You know The Bob Newhart Show, yes? Then, as you well know, Suzanne Pleshette portrayed the exquisite Emily Hartley, Bob's wife. She was a substitute teacher, occasional smart ass and stylish dresser. She popularized the "boyfriend" cardigan before it had a name, made pants suits fashionably feminine and understood the effortless glamour of a hostess skirt. This, of course, all came second to being the sultriest junior psychiatrist in prime time and always having enough dinner made up to feed Howard Borden.

When I revisited The Bob Newhart Show last winter, I was so taken with Emily, and the Harley's lively marriage. It isn't usual to see a television couple possess such warmth, wit and realism. (And the necessary amounts frustration and pouting). For me, their lovable dynamic is only trumped by Rob and Laura Petrie. And that comparison of chemistry makes sense: Mary Tyler Moore's own production company was behind The Bob Newhart Show.

So: Bob, Carol, Howard, the dentist, Emily -- love, love, love them. Especially love Emily's wardrobe. In all honesty, in an FY10/FY11 analysis, the 80% inventory increase of my maxi dress collection is directly inspired by Emily Hartley.

But I'm not the only one who's inspired:
My kindred spirits over at Talbots are hailing the return of the hostess skirt! Don't wear it with those shoes, guys. Tone it down -- you're a confident hostess. Styling details aside, I'm trying to dial back the lust for this Hartley-esque hostess skirt. (Talbots has a couple more maxi-skirts in their holiday lookbook, but this is the best one).

I know the look isn't so alluring to everyone. I imagine one could offer a critique: too matronly?...too costumey?...too long? But when I see a vivacious talent like Suzanne Pleshette portray Emily Hartley with playful grace, wearing clothes just like these -- I couldn't associate the style with anything better.

Hostess Skirt

Merry Christmas!
 PS: Really excellent screen captures from the classic TV coverage at http://www.chrisbaker.typepad.com/.

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Thanks for the Suzanne Pleshette photos. I wore maxi skirts as a teenager in the mid to late 70s and have been trying to find new maxi skirts now as they have always been my favorite. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted so have purchased patterns from the 70s via etsy. Am sewing them now. Love the houndstooth skirt too btw.

Baubles and Bedknobs said...

A maxi skirt compatriot! :D I've been tempted to sew from from 60s-70s patterns, too. I wish you heaps of success, and the chic style that will result. Thanks for commenting!

JustMeSuzanne said...

I, too have been rewatching The Bob Newhart show and admiring Emily Hartley's wardrobe. You do realize that the set for the show is just an update of the Dick Van Dyke show set, right? The Hartley's 70s condo is laid out almost exactly like the Petrie's 60 suburban home. The only thing missing is the garage! :)